How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 55468
Experience:  29 years of experience practicing law, including tax and estate planning.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My parents have passed away what do i have to do to have the

This answer was rated:

My parents have passed away what do i have to do to have the ownership of the house passed from their names to mine.
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good morning. Can you provide me a bit more information so I can provide you complete and accurate information? Did your parents have wills? Are you the only child? What is the value of the home? What is the total value of their estate? Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My parents did not have a will.I have a brother.The value is 200000.The value of their estate was the value of the home.No money left in bank accounts or in life insurance

Thanks so much for your reply. Since your parents did not have a will, their house will pass pursuant to the NJ intestate succession laws. Under those laws, you and your brother would each be entitled to 1/2 of the house. One of you will need to file a petition with the probate court to be appointed the administrator of the estates of both parents. Once appointed, the court will issue official documentation evidencing such appointment. The administrator will then prepare and sign a quit claim deed on behalf of estates transferring title to the property. The deed needs to be witnessed, notarized, and then recorded in the real property records of the city/county in which the property is located. If you need a template for the deed, let me know and I'll be happy to provide one for you.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Richard and other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is:
Thank you also for the bonus! I appreciate your kindness!