How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mothers husband of 40 years died on July 8. His daughter

This answer was rated:

My mother's husband of 40 years died on July 8. His daughter from a previous marriage wants an autopsy; however my mother does not. Who has the final say in this -- my mother or his daughter. We live in the State of Florida.
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*


My condolences on your loss. I am a Florida licensed attorney. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

A spouse's decision as to the disposition of the body overrides the decision of the child. A surviving spouse has the principal right to custody of the decedent's remains.

I would be glad to respond to any follow-up questions that you may have.
Ellen and 2 other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you