How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 42835
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Tn estate law question; mother and father are deceased. I never

This answer was rated:

Tn estate law question; mother and father are deceased. I never settled the estate. Mother died 4 yrs ago father 10. I have been living in the house managing the farm. Ex spouse is going to take me to court for back pay child support. Can I sell to my cousin the farm legally?

Thanks for your question and good afternoon.You would have to file probate on each parent here.The court would have to appoint you personal representative and award you the house.Once you are deeded the house through probate you could complete a sale and deed it the buyer.Here you don't own the property yet if it has not gone through probate.

You may want to contact a local title company there and have them file probate and get you clear title through probate process.If you are the heir here the court would award you all the assets including the property.This may end up being a deed from you as personal representative to you as an individual.There would be no way around probate for each of the parents to get you clear and complete title.

This would either pass under their wills or if no will to you under laws of intestacy.

Here are the laws of intestacy for reference.

The probate court would make a finding by court order that you are the sole heir under the laws of intestacy if there were no wills.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today.I appreciate the chance to do so .Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.


Here are title companies with lawyers in Tennessee.You can use a regular lawyer here but since you are planning on a sale to me using a title company insures you have no title problems from probate here.


I hope that you will be so kind as to leave a positive rating. If you do have any additional questions about my answer please click the "Continue Conversation Link" so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. Please be aware that any rating of 1 or 2 is reflected as a negative rating and I receive no credit for my answers.








This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship.Information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information


RayAnswers and other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you