How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 31787
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband is a 68 year old adopted person from Pittsburgh,

This answer was rated:

My husband is a 68 year old adopted person from Pittsburgh, Pa. He was told when he was 35 that he was adopted. We know he was placed at Sister's of Charity Orphanage at 18 months of age and brought to live with his adoptive parents at the age of 2. We have his mother's first name only, we know what hospital he was born in, but little else. How difficult would it be for him to get the name of his birth parents?
Given his age, he is not necessarily interested in contacting them, just having information. We also have the original orphan's court paper stating his biological name which we found when his adopted dad died.
Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to help you out with this.

The best place to start would be with the adoption records, which are likely sealed. Your husband would be able to file a petition with the court that handled the adoption, and ask the court to unseal the records so he can review the contents. It is very likely that his original birth certificate and information regarding his parents is contained in the adoption file.

Unfortunately, it will take a court petition to be able to open the records, but since he's the child who was adopted, he would have the right to unseal the records.

I hope this answers your question, but if you have any additional questions, please let me know and I'll be glad to respond.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I already know about petitioning the court, I thought you could shed light on another source or avenue to get information. Something I don't know about, some site that I may not be familiar with or how about does it cost $ to petition the court, and how does one get the proper paperwork to petition a court? Do we need an attorney?

Petitioning the court is the ONLY legal way to get the information. Any adoption records are going to be sealed, so it is very unlikely that any information about his birth parents would be found anywhere else - - and even if the records were found somewhere else, you'd need a court order to access them.

In fact, even the state department of vital statistics would likely only have his new birth certificate since his name was changed upon adoption. The court file is going to be the best resource to gather the information he seeks.

As for getting this done, you would have to file a petition with the court, and the filing fee is usually around $100. Unfortunately, there are no forms for something like this, but an attorney can help you out with it. Because it's an uncontested matter, the cost should be minimal. I'd say $500-$750. Also, your husband could seek help from local legal aid if the cost is a problem.

Roger and 2 other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you