How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Infolawyer Your Own Question
Infolawyer, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 56906
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Infolawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother passed in 2009. She left a Will which we had probated

This answer was rated:

My mother passed in 2009. She left a Will which we had probated at the courthouse. I was the executor of the estate and ensured that items she called out in her Will were distributed. She has an IRA account that I later found out had a beneficiary set up as "Estate". I cannot have the IRA account transferred as they are asking for an Estate SSN. My mother lived in Virginia. I live in Tennessee.

What do I do need to do? They said I have to establish an Estate.
Hello and thank you for the question. I am sorry to read of this dilemma. When you probated the will, an estate was open and ein assigned? Is that estate open?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Not that I know of, I was not "aware" that such had to be done. We probated the Will and that was all the Probate Clerk told me had to be done. I was not aware that the Primerica IRA account beneficiary was stated to the "Estate". That is now the issue of getting those funds released.

You have a couple of options. You may go to the bank and open an estate account and have an ein assigned to it with yourself as executor under it.

You may then seek to amend the probate to include this additional asset. This would normally be done by motion. The court clerk can help but it would largely be a motion supported by affidavit.

The affidavit would explain the probate and the recently discovered new asset that needs to be added. Al beneficiaries would be put on notice and given right to be heard. Then the estate would quickly close again and allow the distribution per the will.

If you retain local counsel, that is a further option and is a good directory for an estates lawyer locally.

Kindly click on a positive excellent rating for the answer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So my options are to create a bank account and have an EIN assigned to it with me as the executor under it and then have the probate amended?


Or, seek legal council.


The will states that she leaves all the rest of her estate to her daughter (me). If that helps at all. I live in Tennessee and my mother lived in Virginia. So I can obtain legal council in Tennessee or would I need to obtain such in Virginia?


That is correct. Legal counsel should be obtained in Virginia, where the probate happened. Good luck! Kindly click on a positive rating for the answer.
Infolawyer and 7 other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Estate Law Questions