How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Elder Your Own Question
John Elder
John Elder, Estate & Elder Law
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 4631
Experience:  Over 14 years experience in Medicaid, Estates, Trust.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
John Elder is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i need to know what i can do . Father died and left my sister and brother as executors of

This answer was rated:

i need to know what i can do . Father died and left my sister and brother as executors of the estate and power of attorney . My mother is still alive however my brother and sister have a debit card and are paying their own bills with
my mothers account. Also, i found two different bank accounts with 3 different account numbers for each bank, do i have the right to view bank statements ? they were very angry that i looked at them.
Welcome! Thank you for your question.

Is your mother mentally competent?

Are the accounts in your mother's name?

Did your mother authorize you to look at the accounts?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My mother has dementia she is 86 years old. some of the account s belong in three names, my father account , my mothers account , a trust account in one bank and the same in a credit union, they have safe deposit boxes they purchased. they never tell me anything, mother cannot give permission to view accounts, i kind of fell upon them


Unfortunately, they are correct that if they are the trustee and power of attorney and you are not either of those then you do not have authority to access accounts unless they have your name on them.

With that said, if you have found issues in the accounts like you described them using the money for themselves, etc. then you can move forward to protect your mother by reporting your concerns of financial abuse of your mother to adult protective services in your area or filing a petition with the court to request your mother be adjudicated incompetent and request a guardian and/or conservator be appointed to protect her financial interest.

Here is a link to the adult protective services agency in Utah.

Here is a link to information about appointment of a Guardian/Conservator in Utah.

I cannot provide you with legal advise. I have provided you with information about the law related to your question. My answer, and any information that you find online, should not take the place of having a consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

Please show your appreciation for my candid, accurate information by clicking VERY INFORMATIVE, OR the OR and positive feedback. You should only rate me if you are satisfied with the information I provided you. If you cannot rate me GREAT please do not rate. Give me a chance to make it right by clicking REPLY TO EXPERT.

I appreciate your question and repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with "Dear XXXXX..."

Thank you,


John Elder and 8 other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Estate Law Questions