How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Infolawyer Your Own Question
Infolawyer, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 57389
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Infolawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother has dementia and is in an assisted living facility.

This answer was rated:

My mother has dementia and is in an assisted living facility. I have the power(s) of attorney (both health and financial). I know there are CDs/annuities in existance but I am having trouble finding all the records. Is there a single source for this information? I will need them to pay for her care.
Hello and thank you for the question. I am sorry to read of this dilemma. There would normally not be a single source for all of this information. Most lawyers begin by looking at the tax return and speaking with the accountant, if available, as that person would have the information and the return often references the accounts and where located. Are you able to access either and is the answer acceptable?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

We have called her tax preparer and they do not answer. It seems that the holders of the cds etc. would have to send a form to the IRS. After proving power of attorney to them is there not a route to this information at the local IRS office?

The easiest approach is the one you tried which is by reaching out to the tax preparer. If not getting an answer, you may want to have a lawyer place a call which may get a better response. Thirdly, contact the IRS directly. I recommend seeking to have an in person meeting with local IRS office agent and bring the poa documents to expedite handling and processing. You may also ask for a supervisor and impress the urgency of the request. Is that clear and acceptable?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, We will try the IRS directly, thank you.


Very welcome and good luck. Have a nice day.
Kindly click on a positive rating for the answer.
Infolawyer and other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you