How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 55284
Experience:  29 years of experience practicing law, including tax and estate planning.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Pursuant to my previous communication with you, please note

This answer was rated:

Pursuant to my previous communication with you, please note the following.
After receiving your answer, I called the Surragate court and was told that my sister had never filed the probate. My sister told my mom's best friend that her reasons for not proceeding with the probate is that alledgelly she is waiting on conformation from German tax authorities since our mother supposidly owed taxes there, for what I do not know.
My dad worked for the railroad after WWII, and she was receiving a pension. We all moved to the US in 1953.
Before my sister put mom into the assisted living home in 2010, she told me that everything pretaining to Germany was settled.
Please advise if you have any possible ideas on how I should proceed. My mom has been in the USA for more than 60 years and became a citizen in 1961.
Thank you for your time and advise.
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good evening. I think that's ludicrous and has no legal basis. I would immediately file a petition with the court to be appointed the administrator of the estate. If your sister contests this in any manner, explain the full situation to the court. There would be absolutely no justification for the estate to be concerned with any taxes due in Germany for a period prior to 1953. This should be a huge red flag and is probably hiding what's really happening to the estate assets. Given this excuse, you want to ask the court to appoint you administrator which will give you full and exclusive authority over the estate. Once in charge, order a full audit of the estate, and if there has been any mis-use or misappropriation of assets, file a civil suit for actual and punitive damages. Also, if you find any misappropriation, you can also pursue criminal prosecution.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Richard and 2 other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for the positive rating! I truly appreciate that!