LegalGems
LegalGems, Attorney
Experience:  Private Practice; Elder Law Attorney; Estate Planning; Attorney Mentor
63726236

I loan my brother a lot of money and he said he would pay me

Customer Question

I loan my brother a lot of money and he said he would pay me back when my mother died and her house sells. I only have a verbal agreement, however, I do have siblings that her him agreed on paying me when we sell the house.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 4 years ago.

LegalGems :

Hi; My goal is to provide you with great service - if you have any questions during our chat, please ask! I'll do my best to ensure your satisfaction!

LegalGems :

I am sorry to hear of your loss.

LegalGems :

A contract does not need to be written in order to be enforceable.

LegalGems :

A verbal contract is equally enforceable - the problem is that the plaintiff has the burden to prove the contract.

LegalGems :

Since this involves money, and you mentioned it was a large sum, presumably there is some documentation of the transfer (i.e. canceled check).

LegalGems :

This would help you if you choose to bring a breach of contract lawsuit.

LegalGems :

Here is a link to the civil court system in California.http://www.courts.ca.gov/superiorcourts.htm

LegalGems :

Please let me know if you have further questions on the above, and I will do my best to assist you. Otherwise, if you have no further questions, please don't forget to rate my answer so the website credits me for assisting you. Thanks!

LegalGems :

If you were interested in pursuing this via the court system, please post that information here and I will get you the necessary forms. Thanks!

Expert:  LegalGems replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for using JA/Pearl! I hope you found my services helpful, as this is important to me.

If you need further assistance, please put TO LEGAL GEMS in front of the question and I will get back to you as soon as I can.

My career position is an attorney; my hobby is a researcher. Fortunately these compliment each other! I hope that means you received great service - and I enjoyed providing it!!

___________________________________
Thank you for rating my answer as this is how I receive compensation for assisting you. I hope JA/Pearl and myself has met your needs and provided you general legal information for you to use in the future. Thank You!