How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 39027
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I live in Georgia and would like to know if my siblings

This answer was rated:

Hi, I live in Georgia and would like to know if my siblings and I will have to sell the house that is now considered as part of our parents estate. Though there are bills of my mother that keep trickling in which may have to be paid, one of my siblings (who is disabled with MS) and I are currently living in this estate house. We are all paying on the mortgage in order to keep this house, but I read a lot on the web that many people have to sell their parents home in order to pay the deceased parent's medical bills and such. But again, what if two of the three heirs are living in that home?

Please advise.

Under the Georgia implementation of Medicaid, estate recovery is stayed/delayed, if the deceased recipient has a living child of any age who is blind or permanently and totally disabled pursuant to Title XIX of the Social Security Act.

Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The thing that may cause problems though, is that my sister, which has MS and completely paralized, also owns a house in a different county (in GA) that she and her husband had before he died in 2003. She kept it and finally paid it off. When her spouse died, she had to move in with our parents due to her physical disability. Is this going to complicate matters regarding our parents house where she and I now live?



What other home?Cool

Seriously though, the only requirement is that the sibling must be "blind or permanently and totally disabled," and "lawfully residing in the home." 42 U.S.C. 1396p(a)(2)(B).

So, if the sibling cannot live alone, and she has been moved into your mother's home, then she is lawfully residing therein, and that is all that is required.

Hope this helps.
socrateaser and 4 other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you