How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 42834
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Oregon and my step-sister lives in Montana. She

This answer was rated:

I live in Oregon and my step-sister lives in Montana. She hired a probate lawyer over a year ago when my step-mother died. He will not return phone calls and his secretary makes constant excuses for him. He filed for probate, got me a deed for the 10 acres of land that my father and step mother left for me, but has never filed anything else. He has never written to any of the people in the will and he will not return the balance of the $2500 I paid for the probate. I just went through probate concerning my Mom's estate out here in Oregon and I know several things had to be filed in the process. I believe he is a criminal lawyer and he took this on as a favor to my step-sister. I paid for it all to get it going, back in May of 2012. What recourse do I have to get this finished up? I have called and left messages with his secretary at least 15 times. Thanks you,


Thanks for your question and good afternoon.

Honestly I would terminate this person as your lawyer.I would file a complaint against him for failure to provide professional services.He has not done you right and I am not sure you are going to be able to get him to finish this up.You can terminate him in writing and ask for your files back.

You would file your complaint here.

Complaints should be made to the Montana Supreme Court's Office of Disciplinary Counsel, whose purpose is to investigate and prosecute complaints of professional misconduct against lawyers. Their office can be reached at(NNN) NNN-NNNNor toll-free, in-state(NNN) NNN-NNNN

You can arbitrate the legal fee and seek return of at least part of it as well.

Your alternative here is to write him a demand letter threatening such action unless he immediately takes action to complete the estate and gives you a timetable to do so.Make sure you send this certified mail and keep a copy here for your lawyer complaint in case he does nothing.Overall I think this guy is bad news he has not proceeded here timely.I wish I could tell you otherwise.You have to decide if you want to give him once last chance or terminate him and find another lawyer.

The state bar here can help you get another lawyer if you decide to fire him.

I appreciate the chance to help and wish you the best here whichever direction you decide to go..

I hope that you will be so kind as to leave a positive rating. If you do have any additional questions about my answer please click the "Continue Conversation Link" so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. Please be aware that any rating of 1 or 2 is reflected as a negative rating and I receive no credit for my answers.







This communication does not establish an attorney client relationship here.Information provided is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information.

RayAnswers and other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for the great information!! I appreciate knowing what agencies to contact. I will give this guy one more chance next week and then follow through with your suggestions.


This is just what I needed to know.



Thanks again for your recent real estate law question.If you have new ones please post them for Ray.Thanks again.