How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 41556
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My elderly father died a few months ago and my mother, who

This answer was rated:

My elderly father died a few months ago and my mother, who is becoming senile, inherited his estate in CO. I am named executor of her estate. Recently my sister has been taking expensive items from the home with permission from my mother. This includes my father's antiques, coin and gun collections. She intends to give them to her children. According to the will she is not entitled to any specific items or proceeds but can have some of the residual items if we agree. Her children may have a portion of the proceeds after death. Is this a way of going around the intent of the will? Is it legal? I do not feel it is fair and equitable.

Thanks for your question and good afternoon.My sympathy here for your situation and dilemma.

You should consider your own lawyer here to seek to replace your mother as executor.She has not fulfilled her fiduciary duties and she may be replaced.Since she has become mentally unable to carry out her duties to protect the assets of the estate and the other heirs here a change is needed.

Once she is replaced if you are named executor you may have your lawyer demand return of the items that belonged tot he estate and sue if necessary.As you state these are property of the estate and are distributed under the terms of the will with court approval.The mother here is not legally able to gift these items if she does not have sole legal title.

You have remedies to both replace her and recover these items.I realize this is family but the others here are taking advantage of her and the court should be advised.

You can locate your own lawyer here.

I would consider your own lawyer to take action here as soon as possible before more of the estate is looted by the others.I am so sorry you are having to go through all of this.I appreciate the chance to help you.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.


I hope that you will be so kind as to leave a positive rating. If you do have any additional questions about my answer please click the "Continue Conversation Link" so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. Please be aware that any rating of 1 or 2 is reflected as a negative rating and I receive no credit for my answers.




This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship.Information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information.

RayAnswers and 2 other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you