How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 55318
Experience:  29 years of experience practicing law, including tax and estate planning.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need to obtain Medical Power of attorney for my father.

This answer was rated:

I need to obtain Medical Power of attorney for my father. He recently suffered acute delirium and now severe dementia and is no longer able to make decisions for himself. I have financial POA. I am his only living relative/next of kin. Is there anyway I can get Medical POA executed now? If so, what is the process and how long will it take? Can this process be expedited? Both my father and I live in California.
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good evening. I can provide you a form for a Medical Power of Attorney if you want one and it could be signed, witnessed and notarized and effective immediately. BUT, the problem is in order for him to sign it, he has to be competent...i.e., he has to have a lucid interval long enough to know what he's signing. If you think he can do this, then let me know if you would like me to provide you the template. If he is not able to have a lucid interval, you will need to file a petition with family court to have him deemed to be incompetent and ask the judge to appoint you as his guardian. The timing of this depends upon the court docket load, but in many cases you can request and get an expedited hearing in emergency situation and get this resolved in a week or so.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Richard and 8 other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is:

Related Estate Law Questions