Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
19958803

If person is in nursing home more than 4 years do they lose

If person is in nursing home more than 4 years do they lose ownership in their debt-free home?
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
Is the person having Medicaid or the state pay for their nursing home care?
.
Or are they paying for their own nursing home care?
.
Does the person have a spouse who is still living in the house?
.
.
Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No medicaid or state pay

Insurance plus own pay

No spouse

County in Florida - Brevard

Then no, the person would not lose any ownership of their home. As long as they are paying the taxes on it and maintaining the property so the city doesn't place any liens on it, they can't lose it.
.
If Medicaid was paying for their care, they can place a lien on the house for the cost of the care and could force a sale of the property to reimburse them when the person passes. But if they are self-pay and insurance, this wouldn't apply.
.
So no, if they are in a nursing home and are paying taxes and maintaining the property, they can't lose ownership.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

Thanks so much for the positive rating, it is very much appreciated!

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. Please feel free to ask for me if you need help with anything in the future and I will do my level best to help or get you to someone who can.

.