How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Elder Your Own Question
John Elder
John Elder, Estate & Elder Law
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 4631
Experience:  Over 14 years experience in Medicaid, Estates, Trust.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
John Elder is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have two adopted girls. The estate at this time is to be

This answer was rated:

I have two adopted girls. The estate at this time is to be divided equally. One of the girls has become estranged and distant. I live in the State of Florida. Can I retype the will, which had been prepared by a lawyer, myself and leave everything to the one girl. I have a rider that would give the one girl a gift of $1,500.?
Welcome! Thank you for your question.

You can redo the will on your own and cut out the one girl. If you can please clarify "a rider" that gives a gift to the one girl a gift. I am not sure what you are referring to with "a rider."

You need to be careful when redoing the will that you understand all the wording that is in the document and that you are changing. Even a few legal words in a Will can have great meaning and could lead to confusion with your estate when you die. The will must also be signed before a witness and notary just like the original will. What you need to remember is that since you are cutting out a child this will is much more likely to be contested than your prior will.

I understand your home to save the money modifying the will but you may just be creating more expense for the one daughter your are leaving assets to if you fail to make the changes correctly. I would suggest that you contact the attorney that drafted the original will and see what he/she will charge to modify that will for you to resign. You may find it is much less expensive than the original document since they likely have it on their computer.

I cannot provide you with legal advise. I have provided you with information about the law related to your question. My answer, and any information that you find online, should not take the place of having a consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

Please show your appreciation for my candid, accurate information by clicking VERY INFORMATIVE, OR the OR and positive feedback. You should only rate me if you are satisfied with the information I provided you. If you cannot rate me GREAT please do not rate. Give me a chance to make it right by clicking REPLY TO EXPERT.

I appreciate your question and repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with "Dear XXXXX..."

Thank you,


John Elder and other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you