Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Good Morning - I live in Pennsylvania. Last spring, after my

Good Morning - I live in Pennsylvania. Last spring, after my mother died, my father signed his property over to his four surviving children. Upon his death in the fall, his estate was given equally to these same four children through a last will and testament. This property has a cell phone tower on it and I am receiving lease payments every month from the phone company that owns it. Is my husband entitled to 1/2 of my payments or is this considered inheritance property and can be kept separate from our marital property. Also, before my parents died, they had signed a lease with a Marcellus shale oil company - when the well is drilled and royalty payments start coming in - again would these payments be considered part of my inheritance and kept separate from our marital property?
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Kindly use CONTINUE or REPLY button to ask for clarification or follow-up questions.

Good Morning - I live in Pennsylvania. Last spring, after my mother died, my father signed his property over to his four surviving children. Upon his death in the fall, his estate was given equally to these same four children through a last will and testament. This property has a cell phone tower on it and I am receiving lease payments every month from the phone company that owns it. Is my husband entitled to 1/2 of my payments

Response 1
: No, he is not because it is not a marital property.

or is this considered inheritance property and can be kept separate from our marital property.

Response 2: Yes. See Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes, Title 23 Section 3501.

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI/LI/CT/HTM/23/00.035.001.000..HTM

Also, before my parents died, they had signed a lease with a Marcellus shale oil company - when the well is drilled and royalty payments start coming in - again would these payments be considered part of my inheritance and kept separate from our marital property?

Response 3
: Yes.