How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Elder Your Own Question
John Elder
John Elder, Estate & Elder Law
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 4631
Experience:  Over 14 years experience in Medicaid, Estates, Trust.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
John Elder is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do my husband and I take his widows name off both of the

This answer was rated:

How do my husband and I take his widows name off both of the deeds on our homes and put my name on the deeds. Its been over 7 years since she has passed.
Welcome! Thank you for your question.

Do these homes have mortgages on them?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes. The one we live in does. The rental we rent out is paid off.


The death certificate of his deceased wife is all that was needed to transfer ownership from the two of them to him when she died. For the home that is paid off all that is needed is a quitclaim deed from him to the two of you.

The one you live in is a bit more complex. The home with a mortgage will require the mortgage to be refinanced into you and your husband's name at the time of quitclaiming the property. If a quitclaim deed is prepared without refinancing then the mortgage company can require that the loan be paid in full immediately at the time of the changing of the names on the property. This is called a due on sale clause.

I cannot provide you with legal advise. I have provided you with information about the law related to your question. My answer, and any information that you find online, should not take the place of having a consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

Please show your appreciation for my candid, accurate information by clicking VERY INFORMATIVE, OR the OR and positive feedback. You should only rate me if you are satisfied with the information I provided you. If you cannot rate me GREAT please do not rate. Give me a chance to make it right by clicking REPLY TO EXPERT.

I appreciate your question and repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with "Dear XXXXX..."

Thank you,


John Elder and 3 other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you