How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 118635
Experience:  Experienced in Trust and Succession Law, including Louisiana Laws
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What do I need to do with bank account, bills,etc after death

This answer was rated:

What do I need to do with bank account, bills,etc after death of my daughter? What happens to her student loan?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

I am sorry to hear about the death of your daughter. Now she is deceased you will have to file in probate court to get control of her assets. This includes notifying all of her creditors including student loan company regarding her death and probate. If her total estate value is under $50,000 with no real estate, then you can pursue a small estate filing, which is filing a small estate affidavit and notifying the creditors. If her estate is insufficient to pay her debts due, you can take funeral and other expenses related to her death first and you would either negotiate with the creditors to extinguish the debts or you would place the estate into bankruptcy and none of the creditors get anything.

At this point you would want to likely want to use a probate attorney if her estate is so small that you cannot pay off her debts because they will have to be dealt with in order to properly close out her estate and file a final tax return on her estate.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO XXXXX CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq. and other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you