How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Elder Your Own Question
John Elder
John Elder, Estate & Elder Law
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 4631
Experience:  Over 14 years experience in Medicaid, Estates, Trust.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
John Elder is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello John, I have another question. My mother wants to help

This answer was rated:

Hello John, I have another question. My mother wants to help my sister put a down on a house. How will this affect the Trust, Medicaid, etc.? What is the best route for doing this? Thank you for your help.
Welcome! Thank you for asking for me.

If your mother gives your sister money or pays money toward a home in your sister's name then that will cause your mother to be ineligible for Medicaid for 5 years from the date of the transfer. It has no effect on the trust but will trigger a new 5 year period.

Your mother could lend her the money using a note or obtain some portion of ownership in the home. If either of these are done they should only be done under the consultation of an elder law attorney because Medicaid estate recovery may be able to take your mother's interest in the home or the note if she passes away after receiving Medicaid benefits.

John Elder and 3 other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you