How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 55594
Experience:  29 years of experience practicing law, including tax and estate planning.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in houston Texas my brother pass left me as the beneficiary

This answer was rated:

I live in houston Texas my brother pass left me as the beneficiary on his life insurance add/ no will/ but hospital want re lease records they want a testamentary letter what can do to get one
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good afternoon. Is this a life insurance policy you are talking about that has you as the designated beneficiary? Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes life insurance
Thanks so much for your reply. You don't need his records from the hospital to be paid the life insurance proceeds. Letters testamentary relate to probate assets only. Life insurance is paid directly to the named beneficiary outside probate. Thus, all you need to send the insurance company is your information along with the policy information plus the death certificate for your brother. The insurance company does not require the hospital records to pay the policy.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The insurance company want the records but the hospital says that need the letter I want know going about getting one ins/company says they records to complete claim I want can I get a letters for probate court
If you want to get letters testamentary from the probate court, file a petition in the probate court in the county in which your brother resided at his death. In that petition, you ask the court to be appointed the administrator of his estate. The court will appoint you and that appointment will result in the court then causing the letters testamentary to be issued to you.
Richard and 6 other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is: