How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Elder Your Own Question
John Elder
John Elder, Estate & Elder Law
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 4631
Experience:  Over 14 years experience in Medicaid, Estates, Trust.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
John Elder is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My automobile title is in my name and my deceased fiances name.

This answer was rated:

My automobile title is in my name and my deceased fiances name. It is Joan----and Wm-----. I was not listed in his will as we had only been engaged a short time. His family said they gave the attorney handling the estate the information about the car and title. It took over 2 yrs. to settle the estate and i later found out the car was never mentioned. Now I don't know how to get the title changed to just my name?
Welcome! Thank you for your question.

Unfortunately the lawyer that you spoke with is absolutely correct. Unless you are the surviving spouse, there is no survivorship right with regard to auto titles in Mass. This means that automobiles will not transfer to the survivor automatically. The only way to transfer title to the automobile is to open an estate with the probate court and get the probate court's authority to transfer title. You can go to the probate court where the original administration took place to see if they will help you file the forms necessary to get authority to transfer title.

I cannot provide you with legal advise. I have provided you with information about the law related to your question. My answer, and any information that you find online, should not take the place of having a consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

Please show your appreciation for my candid, accurate information by clicking VERY INFORMATIVE, OR the OR and positive feedback. You should only rate me if you are satisfied with the information I provided you. If you cannot rate me GREAT please do not rate. Give me a chance to make it right by clicking REPLY TO EXPERT.

I appreciate your question and repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with "Dear XXXXX..."

Thank you,


Customer: replied 4 years ago.


I have a couple of questions since I can't get a clear title? What happens if I just continue to drive and leave things as is? Can I have the heirs sign over their shares? Both of Bill's daughters are willing to do that but I have not talked to his son. His son caused a lot of trouble about the estate and I don't want to stir it up again. Any ideas or can I just go ahead and drive the car? Thank you so much for your help - this is very frustrating.

So long as you can continue to get the car registered and insured then there is not much of a practical issue. At some point it is possible that the daughter's try to enforce their rights and take the car away from you. They would have to go through probate to enforce their rights. However, if they do nothing then you can generally just keep driving the car.

You can try and get the daughters to sign a settlement agreement but it will only be valid if you open up the probate and complete the probate process with the settlement agreement. They cannot just sign the car over without the probate process.
John Elder and 2 other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you