How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 55703
Experience:  29 years of experience practicing law, including tax and estate planning.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have two daughters. I also have a living trust. I have helped

This answer was rated:

I have two daughters. I also have a living trust. I have helped one of my daughters buy a house. Now my other daughter wants me to give her the same amount . I have the money but this is what I live off of. What are my options
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good afternoon. Of course you have no legal obligation to help at all. You are within your legal rights to help either daughter alone or disproportionately. It is your money and even if it's in a revocable living trust, you still have control over your assets. And, you have the right to amend your trust. Since you don't have the money currently to give without directly impacting your own ability to support yourself, if you want to treat them equally, I would suggest you amend the revocable trust to provide that rather than equal distributions of assets from the trust, the daughter that was not recipient of the help now is first entitled to a preferential distribution equal to the amount you gave your other daughter. Then, after that preferential distribution, the remaining assets of the trust would be distributed to them equally.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
She says she will sue because she needs the money to save her house from foreclosure. Can she sue me n the estate for her share
Thanks for your reply. She has no legal basis to claim any inheritance. It's your money and whether or not you leave anything for your children is totally within your discretion. A child has no legal entitlement to an inheritance.
Richard and other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is: