Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
19305272

If a husband and wife own a house under joint tenancy, can

If a husband and wife own a house under joint tenancy, can one of them borrow against the house without approval from the other?

TMcJD :

Hi, I will be happy to assist you, and it is my goal to make you a very satisfied customer! This may take a few minutes, so thanks for your patience.

TMcJD :

No, a bank would never loan money to only one joint tenant without getting the other on the loan as well because if the one that takes the loan dies first, the property will only be owned by the survivor (who didn't sign the loan) and the lender would no longer have any interest to go after. They would lose their ability to collect and any security interest in the home.