Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

My husband named his mother as his beneficiary for his life

insurance. He is changing me...
My husband named his mother as his beneficiary for his life insurance. He is changing me, his wife to the beneficiary. This is with American National Insurance Company. He is naming his 2 minor children from a previous marriage as secondary beneficiaries. He said that he was told, "Because it is a change of address, change of beneficiary(ies) and beneficiaries that are still minors with different last names and no adoption. Is this true? Do I, the spouse really have to sign this? He is the owner only and is naming us as the beneficiaries only.
5/29/2013
John Elder
John Elder, Estate & Elder Law
Welcome! Thank you for your question.

You are correct that it is very strange that you would be asked to sign for his change in beneficiary. Generally the only time a spouse is asked to sign a change of beneficiary form is when they are being removed as beneficiary.

I cannot provide you with legal advise. I have provided you with information about the law related to your question. My answer, and any information that you find online, should not take the place of having a consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

Please show your appreciation for my candid, accurate information by clicking VERY INFORMATIVE, OR the OR and positive feedback. You should only rate me if you are satisfied with the information I provided you. If you cannot rate me GREAT please do not rate. Give me a chance to make it right by clicking REPLY TO EXPERT.

I appreciate your question and repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with "Dear XXXXX..."

Thank you,

John Elder
John Elder, Estate & Elder Law

Thank you. That is exactly as I thought. He has a problem with honesty that is why I am questioning it. This is in the state of WI. Does that make a difference? Or, is it generally the same - the owner has to sign for changes, not the beneficiary - even if minor children are involved that are not biologically mine.

The state does not make a difference. That is the general rule nationwide.
John Elder
John Elder
John Elder, Estate & Elder Law