How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas McJD Your Own Question
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 6516
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Thomas McJD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother is 88 years of age and in declining health in a Wichita

This answer was rated:

My mother is 88 years of age and in declining health in a Wichita Falls, Texas assisted living facility. I have the P.O.A. lisiting me and the other beneficuaries in her will. Her assets consist of an IRA and investments through Wells Fargo Financial Advisors. Do I need to process either the IRA, Investments, and a joint checking account (she and I) have so I can pay her monthly medical and living expenses?
Since she lives in Texas and I live in Florida what would be the probate process I should take?
Thank you,
Dr. Paul Gary Jarrett
Jacksonvile, Florida
XXX-XXX-XXXX [email protected]


Hi, I will be happy to assist you, and it is my goal to make you a very satisfied customer! This may take a few minutes, so thanks for your patience.


Yes, as her agent under the Power of Attorney, you do have the duty of using her assets, including the investments and IRA (if other sources are insufficient) to pay for her care. On her death, since she is a resident of TX, a TX probate would be required. Fortunately, though, TX probate is a very quick and easy process in most cases whereas the process if quite complicated and expensive in many other states. You would need a TX attorney to assist you. is a very good website for locating attorneys. You would need a probate or estate attorney. The TX bar association's website also has a tool you can use to locate an attorney in that state.


Please let me know if I can provide additional assistance. If not, I would be grateful if you could please leave me a positive rating. I cannot receive credit for my work without your positive rating and that is the sole means of compensation for JustAnswer experts.


Thank you

Thomas McJD and 4 other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you
You're very welcome. Thank you too. Please let me know if I can help with anything in the future. Have a great day!