How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask N Cal Attorney Your Own Question
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 9389
Experience:  Since 1983
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
N Cal Attorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What if I never agreed to take property granted to me by quit claim deed? My oldest broth

This answer was rated:

What if I never agreed to take property granted to me by quit claim deed? My oldest brother was trustee of my father's will and he transferred property to me by quit claim deed.
but, my younger brother was actually living in the house at the time. I was forced to pay property taxes on property that I could not use and had no interest in just to keep a roof over my brother's head. My brother then abandoned the old dilapidated house so I refused to continue to pay for the worthless property. No one will buy it because it is completely run down in a very undesirable area. What can I do?
I'm sorry to hear this.

Would the co-owners agree to let you deed your interest to one or all of them?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I don't think so. Why would I need agreement? I didnt agree when it was deeded to me. The only other person on the deed abandoned the house. My older brother added me to the deed and transferred the taxes to me in ordrer to force me to help take care of my brother who is 12 years older than I am. After he started getting social security, he left the house and now I;m stuck with it. What happens if I continue to refuse paying taxes? (rephrasing my original question)

If no one pays the real estate taxes eventually the County or City will seize the property.

May I ask if the deed was ever actually delivered to you? Or was it recorded without your knowedge?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It was recorded without my knowledge and then mailed to me afterwards. It was drawn up and notarized in another county and then recorded in Shelby county. I don't care if the county or city takes the property. I just don;t want to be liable for the bill. The property is not worth anything.

You can file an action in Court to cancel the deed based on the fact that it was never legally delivered to you.

Or you can do nothing and allow the property be taken for unpaid tax liens.

You can get a free consultation from some of the real estate attorneys listed by location at

I hope this information is helpful.
N Cal Attorney and other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for accepting my answer.