How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Irwin Law Your Own Question
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 7415
Experience:  30+ yrs. handling probate estate, wills, trust, inheritance & real estate related matters
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Irwin Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am having serious trouble with my neighbor and former brother

This answer was rated:

I am having serious trouble with my neighbor and former brother in law. When my husband sister passed of cancer, he became very violent towards her family. He was always a violent, unstable man, he just turned it on all of us at that point. That's the background. The question is: I happen to be the family member living directly beside him. My property makes an L around him. I have contracted a company to put a 6' high privacy fence between us, and would like to put chain link fence behind him to block him off our property. Our children won't play outside now because he comes to the property line cursing and asking us to fight him. This man is 60 and nuts. He also has an arsenal hr keeps threatening us with also. He records us on his camera system as well, that is the reason for the privacy fence... This L will box him in, as we have a fence already running down the entire other side of his property, extending down into mine because a construction company is there. I just want to make sure he can't come back at me later with some ridiculous lawsuit because I blocked him in so my kids feel safe to go outside... If it matters, we are talking about Westmoreland County in PA...

I'm truly sorry to hear about your situation. Neighborhood/family feuds are very rough. You are certainly free to fence and or tree line your property from his and you would not be cutting off his access to the public street. He has no legal right to access your property. Suggestion: Cameras (and lawsuits) can be pointed in his direction too. If you get him on tape doing what you say he is doing, you can use the civil restraining order (peace bond) process on him.

I hope this information is helpful and that you will enter a positive rating. I thank you for submitting your question to Pearl-Just Answer. We appreciate your business. If you need clarification or additional information, please send me a Reply and I will be happy to explain further. Please consult a local attorney to verify the accuracy of this information according to your state's laws.


Irwin Law and 5 other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you! We do have cameras also but ours were installed with the purpose of watching our house within close proximity not longer range ones to spy on and harass neighbors... What a job he is. We are however also in the process of doing exactly what you said because we didn't have a far enough shot to defend ourselves to the cop... Glad we have that coming too! Again, thank you!