How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask David Kennett Your Own Question
David Kennett
David Kennett, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years practicing attorney
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
David Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother pssed away and left a will but the original was lost.

This answer was rated:

My mother pssed away and left a will but the original was lost. The person named as the executor stepped down and the family paid to have 2 siblings installed as the adminstrators . The house was sold as instructed by my mothe via of the 2 adminstrators
. Is the person who stepped down as the original executor still entiled to the 10% to be paid her upon the sale of the house. Also, the will was lost and never probated which is why we had the need for the 2 administrators .
Dear PLCUSTOMER - Since the original will was destroyed then there was no valid will since a copy cannot be used in probate. Based on that, there was no executor since the administrators had to be appointed so thee would be no fee owing to an executor who was never appointed by the court. Based on all the facts, it is my opinion that nothing is owed to the original executor.
David Kennett and 5 other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Estate Law Questions