How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask N Cal Attorney Your Own Question
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 9368
Experience:  Since 1983
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
N Cal Attorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am the executor of my deceased brothers estate. There is

This answer was rated:

I am the executor of my deceased brother's estate. There is a current authenticated will that lists one of his nieces as the sole beneficiary of his entire estate, which is not very large. However, there is one old savings account that has my brother as trustee and our estranged sister as beneficiary. My brother's estate does not have enough assets to satisfy all of his debts without the proceeds from this savings account. My question is this - does the law allow me to use the proceeds from this savings account towards his debts or must it all go to this other sister?
The trustee of an account has no legal ownership over the contents of the account, so it is not part of the Estate and cannot be used to pay debts of the Estate,

The Account Agreement supersedes the Will.

I hope this information is helpful.
N Cal Attorney and other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What happens if I am unable to contact the beneficiary?
If the beneficiary cannot be located, eventually the Bank will give it to the State of Tennessee’s Unclaimed Property Division, see

Thank you for accepting my answer.

Related Estate Law Questions