How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TJ, Esq. Your Own Question
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 12365
Experience:  JD, MBA
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
TJ, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Mom died before Easter. My brother is the oldest and hired

This answer was rated:

Mom died before Easter. My brother is the oldest and hired a lawyer for an administrative summary and said I'd have to pay half. I signed an agreement he'd pay it and I'd pay him back plus expenses once the house sells she had no will and in the meantime he has taken everything out of the house he wanted without asking and said I could have the rest. I only just got keys. He also said he was the beneficiary of her savings so that is gone. What can I do not to get cheated more?
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

You can ask the attorney for summary of assets and an accounting of the estate. Once you have that, you'll know exactly what the estate is worth and you can make sure that you receive your share. If you do not receive your share, then you can sue the attorney representing the estate for not distributing the assets from the estate properly.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, your positive feedback is much appreciated. Thank you for using our service!

If you would like to direct additional legal questions to me in the future, then please type "To VAMD" in the subject line of your question.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

This is just an administrative summary though. So it does answer the questions about the sale of the house but what about the belongings he took without sharing?

Hi again.

If you have evidence of missing items, then you can sue your brother or request that the lawyer sue your brother for the return of those items (or their value).
TJ, Esq. and 3 other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you