Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience in the practice of estate law.
17897874

Inheritance tax paid on 800,000 estate was 35,ooo. Real estate

Inheritance tax paid on 800,000 estate was 35,ooo. Real estate value of 700,000 was used at that time. Property sold for only 200,000. Are inheritors entitled to a refund from Pa?
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am JudgeLaw and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide you excellent service.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma.   I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

A petition for a refund on Pennsylvania inheritance tax must be made within 3 years of the date of:

1. payment,
2. the date of the notice of assessment, or
3. the date the tax becomes delinquent.

After 5 years, the time to file for a refund has expired and a refund would not be possible.

I am sorry. I realize this is not the answer you were hoping for. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I ask that you not penalize me for having to deliver less than favorable news.

It has been my privilege to assist you. Let me know if you need further assistance.  I hope I have helped you beyond your expectations in the service I have provided to you.  I am here for you.

Please remember to rate my answer when our communication is completed so I will be compensated for my time in providing you with the information you requested.

If you feel the need to provide a low rating, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will happily answer your follow-up questions and assist you until I am able to explain the answer to your satisfaction. Please also remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to your situation, so please do not penalize me for having to deliver bad news.

Thank you.

JudgeLaw