Richard, Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience practicing law, including tax and estate planning.
17027240

I HAVE POA FOR MY SISTER WHO HAS ADVANCED DEMENTIA. HER SECOND

I HAVE POA FOR MY SISTER WHO HAS ADVANCED DEMENTIA. HER SECOND OLDEST CHILD HAS ASK THAT THE POA BE TRANSFERED TO HER. MY SISTER AND I LIVE IN FLORIDA AND SHE LIVES IN INDIANA. I AM AGREEABLE TO THE TRANSFER SINCE I AM 81 AND NOT ABLE TO CONDUCT MY SISTER'S BUSINESS.
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good afternoon. Does your POA have a provision specifically referencing a successor POA or does it specifically give you the right to name a successor? Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

There is no reference to a successor and the language of the document does not give me the power to name a successor.

Thanks so much for following. Pursuant to Section(NNN) NNN-NNNNof the Florida POA statute:  "Authority of agent.—
(1) Except as provided in this section or other applicable law, an agent may only exercise authority specifically granted to the agent in the power of attorney and any authority reasonably necessary to give effect to that express grant of specific authority. General provisions in a power of attorney which do not identify the specific authority granted, such as provisions purporting to give the agent authority to do all acts that the principal can do, are not express grants of specific authority and do not grant any authority to the agent." Thus, because the POA does not specifically reference your right to appoint a successor POA and does not name a successor POA, in order for the second oldest child to be appointed, there would need to be a petition filed with the court for approval.

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you this could be done without court action, but, I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you. ………..I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help!