Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
19305272

Why did I have to sign a consent to sign and acknowledgement

Why did I have to sign a consent to sign and acknowledgement of my mother's will? Her spouse is the executor and the full heir to all tangible and intangible. I was only listed as an heir in the event he died before she.

TMcJD :

Hi, I will be happy to assist you, and it is my goal to make you a very satisfied customer! This may take a few minutes, so thanks for your patience.

TMcJD :

It's a measure to ensure you do not contest the will. Although you note you're not an "heir" unless he died before your mother, that is not correct. You're always an heir of your mother, you just are not a beneficiary under her will unless he had died first. Thus, if the will was contested and determined invalid, you (as an heir) would have an interest in her estate.

Customer:

I had no problem signing. It is done. I felt a bit insulted. Was it legally what had to be done. I was informed in the cover letter that if I did not sign, I would be legally served.

TMcJD :

Yes, it was legal.

TMcJD :

Many attorneys, unfortunately, just don't have tact when dealing with those types of situation. It's a shame, because there's no reason to make anyone feel insulted or for the situation to be awkward. Some attorneys just go into everything like it's a war.

TMcJD :

If you need additional assistance, please let me know.

TMcJD :

If you do not, I would be grateful if you could please leave me a positive rating for my assistance. I cannot receive credit for my work without your positive rating and that is JustAnswer experts sole means of compensation. Thanks!

Customer:

Thank you! XXXXX allowed another question pertaining to this subject?

TMcJD :

Sure, but generally just for clarification. If you have a new question, it's customary to post a new question so that the expert can receive credit for each question. It's sort of a one-question-at-a-time system. Otherwise, we would be spending hours on multiple question with very little overall compensation. But, certainly let me know if you just need clarification.

Customer:

For clarification, I understand it was legal. Is it a usual practice? My husband is an heir also but at his father's death he did not have to sign anything to insure he would not contest.

TMcJD :

Every attorney does things a little different, and the process is a little different in each state, but to my knowledge it's not very common really. Unfortunately, I would have to actually see the full text of the document to provide more specific information to you.

Customer:

Thank you. I am satisfied.

Customer:

Have a good day!

TMcJD :

Great. Thanks. You have a great day too. If you could leave that positive rating, I would very much appreciate it. Thanks!