Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
19958803

Hello late last year my wifes parents both passed away. There

Hello
late last year my wife's parents both passed away. There were no assets and there was no will. Recently we were contacted by a life insurance company that there was a policy and my wife is listed as a benificiary. There is paperwork that needs to be completed etc.. My question is my wife has a brother and will he be a benificiary as well? My wife was responsible for her parents before and after their passing. Any insight is appreciated. Thank you
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
My question is my wife has a brother and will he be a benificiary as well?
.
This would depend entirely on whether parents named him as a joint beneficiary on the policy. If they did not, then any proceeds from the policy would pass directly to wife tax free as her personal property. She would have no legal obligation to share those proceeds with brother unless she voluntarily chose to.
.
She could likely ask the insurer what the total value of the policy was and is she is receiving less than that total amount, it is likely that brother was named as a beneficiary as well for some portion of the proceeds.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

Please remember to rate my service. If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.