How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 41574
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother passed away in a nursing home, the balance of her

This answer was rated:

My mother passed away in a nursing home, the balance of her bank account was remitted to home. She had no other assets. At the time I gave the bank check, I don't have the exact words, but I was thanked for the check but was told that once she passed away the obligation was done. I am now being required by the home to and summoned for a court hearing. Am I liable? Do I need a lawyer? Should I contact A Governmental Department that overlooks Nursing Homes?

Thanks for your question and good afternoon.If you were named here in a civil suit here and served with it by summons then they are trying to collect funds from you.Unless you signed a guarantee of payment you should not be personally liable only her estate would be liable.Apparently they are stating in the suit that you are liable.If you can afford a lawyer certainly it is to your advantage to try and respond and dispute this matter.

They may not be able to personally link you to the debt.Again you can force them through your lawyer to produce any singed guarantee of other documents that are the basis of their suit and claim.You should do this as soon as soon as possible.

Here is self help to respond here to the suit and summons if you have to self represent.

Answering a Collections Complaint - Elder Law of Michigan


Here is legitimate lawyer referral through your state bar.


It has been my pleasure to assist you today.I am so sorry about the loss of your mother and having to go through all of this.Please let meknow if you have more follow up.Thanks again.




I hope that you will be so kind as to leave a positive rating. If you do have any additional questions about my answer please click the "Continue Conversation Link" so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. Please be aware that any rating of 1 or 2 is reflected as a negative rating and I receive no credit for my answers.

This communication does not establish an attorney client relationship here.Information providedis not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information.



RayAnswers and other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you