How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 40971
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If my mothers estate is over $500 k, does that mean we have

This answer was rated:

If my mothers estate is over $500 k, does that mean we have to go through probate?

Thanks for your question and good evening.

Yes you will have to make application for probate here either with a will or for court supervised probate if no will.You would be asking to be appointed personal representative.You can either file yourself or consider a local probate lawyer to help you with application.

Once you are appointed you would be able to get an EIN number this is used for taxes and the estate bank account and takes the place of the social security number since your mother is deceased.

You are expected here to gather assets,file an inventory with the court, pay claims, liquidate assets , pay taxes , and then make final distribution with the approval of the court.

This process can take a year to two years here from start to finish.There would be no way around probate with an estate of this value.

Here is reference to the probate process and forms for you to look over..

Applying for an EIN number after you are appointed personal representative.

You can locate a probate lawyer here through ABA approved lawyer referral.

It has been my pleasure to assist you this evening.Please let me know if you have follow up.I know that this can be kind of overwhelming.Thanks again.

Also if you haven't done so you are due a small death benefit from social security for your mother.

I hope that you will be so kind as to leave a positive rating. If you do have any additional questions about my answer please click the "Continue Conversation Link" so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. Please be aware that any rating of 1 or 2 is reflected as a negative rating and I receive no credit for my answers.

This communication does not establish an attorney client relationship here.Information provided is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information.


RayAnswers and 5 other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you
Please let me know if I missed something or you have more follow up.Thanks again.

Related Estate Law Questions