How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 38229
Experience:  17 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father died 13 yrs ago and my mother died 12 yrs ago I

This answer was rated:

My father died 13 yrs ago and my mother died 12 yrs ago
I have death certificates for both
They did not have any wills

My mother had a safe deposit box at a bank
She was the sole authorization to the box

I have recently been notified by the bank that there are fees due on the box
And they have listed an inventory of the box which is mostly jewelry

What steps must I follow in order to retrieve the contents of the box?
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
If no one has ever opened a surrogate court case to settle mother's estate, then you could file a "small estate affidavit" if the value of the jewelry would be estimated at $30,000 or less. Once you complete the small estate affidavit, you simply present it to the financial institution holding the assets and they will then turn them over to you.
You can access this link and it will actually walk you through the steps to create the small estate affidavit:
This site is set up by the NY Courts to help non attorneys correctly complete the forms so that the deceased's assets can be release to them for distribution to the heirs.
Or you can download the forms directly from here:






Please remember to rate my service. If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.


I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

Barrister and 3 other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you