How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 42211
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 34 year old son passed away unexpectedly. How do I set

This answer was rated:

My 34 year old son passed away unexpectedly. How do I set up an Estate account for any monies due to him addressed to "The Estate Of"
Thanks for your question and good afternoon.My sincere sympathy for your loss of your son.You will need to make application here for probate--either to probate his will if he had one or court supervised probate if there was no will.Once appointed his personal representative by the court you will need to apply for an EIN number.This EIN number takes the place of his social security number since that ceases at his death.

This number and your letters as personal representative allow you to set up an estate account and to move funds, pay creditor claims, taxes, etc.You are likely going to need a local probate lawyer to file for probate and help administer his estate.

You can locate a probate lawyer here using ABAa approved lawyer referral..

You can apply for an EIN number here through IRS..

Reference about the probate process.

Finally here is a law of intestacy chart( no will).The estate passes under this law to the nearest heirs.The court during probate applies the law of intestacy and names legal heirs and their shares.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today.I appreciate the chance to help you.Please let me know if you have follow up.I know this can be kind of overwhelming sometimes.Thanks again.

I hope that you will be so kind as to leave a positive rating. If you do have any additional questions about my answer please click the "Continue Conversation Link" so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. Please be aware that any rating of 1 or 2 is reflected as a negative rating and I receive no credit for my answers.

This communication does not establish an attorney client relationship here.Information provided is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information.

RayAnswers and 4 other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you