How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 116710
Experience:  Experienced in Trust and Succession Law, including Louisiana Laws
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was served a Petition and Summons from my stepfather for

This answer was rated:

I was served a Petition and Summons from my stepfather for my Mother's will that was filed in 2001. She wrote a new will in 2012 before she died in 2013. How do I answer the Petition and Summons?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

To answer this suit yourself if you cannot find an attorney, you need to copy the heading on the Complaint (court name/case name/case number). Title it "Answer." Then you need to state you are the respondent, your name, and that you are appearing to represent yourself and answering the petition. Then you number every response to correspond with the numbers on the petition. You then answer each one with "Admit" "Deny" or "Insufficient information to find a reasonable belief as to the truth of the matter asserted and leave petitioner to her proof thereof." Once you have answered each numbered paragraph then you can put "Defenses" and list any defenses you have to her petition. Then if you have any counterclaims to make, you can make them after your defenses under the title Counterclaim and to do that you would copy the same layout that the initial petition you received has and just change each numbered paragraph to reflect your facts and allegations.

Once you complete that you sign the response, you have it notarized. Under that put "Certificate of Service" and put the name/address of her attorney where you will be mailing a copy and the date you mail it and sign that.

Then file the original and one copy with the clerk of court and ask the clerk to stamp one copy to give back to you as proof of service. Mail one copy to the other party's attorney.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO XXXXX CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.


There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and 4 other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Estate Law Questions