How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Elder Your Own Question
John Elder
John Elder, Estate & Elder Law
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 4631
Experience:  Over 14 years experience in Medicaid, Estates, Trust.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
John Elder is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I become the administrator of my deceased husbands

This answer was rated:

How do I become the administrator of my deceased husband's estate in California? We owned our house as joint tenants, and our cars were in both of our names. My husband didn't have any other assets, and neither of us had any children. The only reason I am interested in this, is to be able to dispute some of my husband's medical bills during the time of his illness, and to cash checks with money that has been returned to him in his name only.
Welcome! Thank you for your question.

I am sorry about your husband's death. Did your husband have a will?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, unfortunately he didn't have a will.

Thank you for that information. To have the authority to receive the checks and dispute debt you need to qualify as administrator of your husband's estate. To qualify as administrator you have to file a petition for probate with the probate court in the county where your husband died. You need to contact the probate court and they will sit down with you and help you get the documents together to qualify. Here is a self-help site that has the probate petition if you want to start on it before you go into the probate court.

I cannot provide you with legal advise. I have provided you with information about the law related to your question. My answer, and any information that you find online, should not take the place of having a consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

Please show your appreciation for my candid, accurate information by clicking VERY INFORMATIVE, OR the OR and positive feedback. You should only rate me if you are satisfied with the information I provided you. If you cannot rate me GREAT please do not rate. Give me a chance to make it right by clicking REPLY TO EXPERT.

I appreciate your question and repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with "Dear XXXXX..."

Thank you,


John Elder and 3 other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you