Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

I live in WV my dad died 1997 no will my mom 85 lossing memory

Customer Question
she lives with sister 8+yrs...
I live in WV my dad died 1997 no will my mom 85 lossing memory she lives with sister 8+yrs now have 1 brother. Itook care of dad and help with mom brother never has helped either one I'm disabled MY ? is i'm only 1 living in home how long before I can homestead ?
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Estate Law
4/26/2013
Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 4 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

In order to claim a homestead in the property, you must be living there without the consent of the owner for a period of 10 years. See: WV Code 55-2-1,3. In order to prove adverse possession you must be using the property openly and notoriously and against the right of the true owner. While you can meet the first two requirements, if you are living there with knowledge and consent of the owner of the property, you could not claim a homestead right as the WV law would not allow you to do so I am afraid.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney