How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Irwin Law Your Own Question
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 7307
Experience:  30+ yrs. handling probate estate, wills, trust, inheritance & real estate related matters
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Irwin Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I gave a written offer for the purchase of an estate house

This answer was rated:

I gave a written offer for the purchase of an estate house to my sister and did not get a response yet what do I do.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Is your sister the executor of the estate?
Is the house listed for sale or has it been appraised for the estate?
Do you have some right to purchase the property through the estate?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am the administrator

It has been appraised the offer is for more than half it highest value.

She died with out a will and I would like to buy it for a fair price.

I need to be clear on this. Are you and your sister the only beneficiaries of the estate?
Has your sister expressed an interest in selling her half interest in the property?
Is there a mortgage on the property?
Please explain the circumstances since all I know is that you made an offer and she didn't respond.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No my brother took cash for 1/3 of the estates value.He said he was happy with the money and did not show interest in the real estate.

Yes for about 3/4 of the value or she wants to buy it from me for rental I would like it to live in.

I am going to have to opt out of the question. It sounds like you both want the house and neither of you can agree so the only option is to sell the house and divide the proceeds. You can't force someone to sell their interest in real estate. I'm not certain if I have assessed the situation properly so I am going to open this for the other experts.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Okay thanks for the help.

Hello. Another expert here and I'll try to assist. You haven't provided much information, so I have to presume certain facts. First, if the property is now in an estate over which you are the administrator, in most states you are prohibited from buying property from it. You will first have to close the estate, distribute the property to the heirs, which includes your brother, you, your sister and any other siblings. (If brother has already been given his share all in cash, he can Quitclaim Deed his interest to you and sister.) You can then use the cash you get from the estate to buy both your brother's interests provided they'll sell to you. If your sister won't sell to you, or you to her, then a court can order a partition sale and you could be the buyer at such a sale. I will be away from the computer for most of today and will be returning Sunday late afternoon.

I hope this information is helpful and that you will enter a positive rating. I thank you for submitting your question to Pearl-Just Answer. We appreciate your business. If you need clarification or additional information, please send me a Reply and I will be happy to explain further. Please consult a local attorney to verify the accuracy of this information according to your state's laws.

Irwin Law, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 7307
Experience: 30+ yrs. handling probate estate, wills, trust, inheritance & real estate related matters
Irwin Law and 3 other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you
Hello again. You have not yet read my Answer to the question that you previously submitted. If you need further explanation or more information, please send a Reply to this. If not, then I hope that you will enter a positive rating for my Answer so that I can receive compensation. Thanks again for using Pearl.Com- Just Answer. We appreciate your business.