Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

I gave a written offer for the purchase of an estate house

to my sister and did...
I gave a written offer for the purchase of an estate house to my sister and did not get a response yet what do I do.
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/19/2013
David Kennett
David Kennett, Attorney
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Is your sister the executor of the estate?
Is the house listed for sale or has it been appraised for the estate?
Do you have some right to purchase the property through the estate?

I am the administrator

It has been appraised the offer is for more than half it highest value.

She died with out a will and I would like to buy it for a fair price.

I need to be clear on this. Are you and your sister the only beneficiaries of the estate?
Has your sister expressed an interest in selling her half interest in the property?
Is there a mortgage on the property?
Please explain the circumstances since all I know is that you made an offer and she didn't respond.

No my brother took cash for 1/3 of the estates value.He said he was happy with the money and did not show interest in the real estate.

Yes for about 3/4 of the value or she wants to buy it from me for rental I would like it to live in.

I am going to have to opt out of the question. It sounds like you both want the house and neither of you can agree so the only option is to sell the house and divide the proceeds. You can't force someone to sell their interest in real estate. I'm not certain if I have assessed the situation properly so I am going to open this for the other experts.

Okay thanks for the help.

Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney

Hello. Another expert here and I'll try to assist. You haven't provided much information, so I have to presume certain facts. First, if the property is now in an estate over which you are the administrator, in most states you are prohibited from buying property from it. You will first have to close the estate, distribute the property to the heirs, which includes your brother, you, your sister and any other siblings. (If brother has already been given his share all in cash, he can Quitclaim Deed his interest to you and sister.) You can then use the cash you get from the estate to buy both your brother's interests provided they'll sell to you. If your sister won't sell to you, or you to her, then a court can order a partition sale and you could be the buyer at such a sale. I will be away from the computer for most of today and will be returning Sunday late afternoon.

I hope this information is helpful and that you will enter a positive rating. I thank you for submitting your question to Pearl-Just Answer. We appreciate your business. If you need clarification or additional information, please send me a Reply and I will be happy to explain further. Please consult a local attorney to verify the accuracy of this information according to your state's laws.

Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Hello again. You have not yet read my Answer to the question that you previously submitted. If you need further explanation or more information, please send a Reply to this. If not, then I hope that you will enter a positive rating for my Answer so that I can receive compensation. Thanks again for using Pearl.Com- Just Answer. We appreciate your business.
Irwin Law
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney