Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

My house was left to the estate of AW", who was my deceased

My house was left to...
My house was left to the 'estate of AW", who was my deceased dad. I have abrother, who wants to force a sale of this home which I have lived in and which he has never contributed a penny to its running. How do I combat his plan to literally take my house?
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/18/2013
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Hi

So now you and your brother are the heirs on the home? Is that correct?

Yes. We ostensibly own the home together. However, I have paid all taxes and upkeep and he has paid nothing. Nevertheless, yes we are the owners. Please know that in my dad's will it was left to 'The estate of AW" we are not mentioned as heirs by name. Helene

Hi

Thank you. XXXXX have suggestions, I am going to request this be moved to Estate Law so a professional in that category can assist you

Please be patient and do not respond here until that professional contacts you

Thanks
David Kennett
David Kennett, Attorney
Who is "AW"?
Was "AW" mentioned as the beneficiary of your father's will or were you and your brother also named?

AW refers to my father's name. No we are not named. The property is left as stated: 'To the state of AW". We are his only surviving sons and heirs.

Is anyone named in the will as a beneficiary of anything?

No one is specifically named.

No. everything is left to 'The Estate of A.W".

I am going to have to opt out of this question. Something is wrong with this will since it sounds like he was leaving everything to himself which is impossible. So either I'm missing something in the facts or the will is simply not a valid will and I have no way of reviewing the paperwork form here. Most wills have a named beneficiary otherwise no one would inherit the estate.

I'm sorry. Yes I looked and we are both named as heirs and co-executors. Can you help? The will was probated and all was in order. H

Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney

I think you might be misunderstanding the the will. It is not possible for someone to leave property to his/her own estate. Either your father tried to write his own will, or his attorney was a dunce. If you can get a clear understanding of the will, and it leaves everything to you and your brother, then the house is not yours. It is yours and his and he can force a sale of the home in order to receive his half of the value of it. The only way for you to keep that from happening is to buy his interest from him. I suggest that you obtain a good probate attorney to work on that aspect as soon as possible.

I hope this information is helpful and that you will enter a positive rating. I thank you for submitting your question to Pearl-Just Answer. We appreciate your business. If you need clarification or additional information, please send me a Reply and I will be happy to explain further. Please consult a local attorney to verify the accuracy of this information according to your state's laws.

Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Irwin Law
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney