How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Elder Your Own Question
John Elder
John Elder, Estate & Elder Law
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 4631
Experience:  Over 14 years experience in Medicaid, Estates, Trust.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
John Elder is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My parents passed, and I was appointed administrator. I need

This answer was rated:

My parents passed, and I was appointed administrator. I need to file taxes for 2011 and 2012. All I have is the name of his tax preparer and prior tax returns. I do not have any w2 or 1099. I no nothing of his finances except him and my mom income came from pensions from their years as Los Angeles city employees. Since the tax preparer has done their taxes for years, can I give him power of attorney to use past returns to request the needed missing documents
Welcome! Thank you for your question.

Yes, you can give your tax preparer the authority as administrator of your parents estates to request a transcript of their prior tax returns or documents included W-2s or 1099s that where submitted by employers or government agencies.

The form that the tax preparer will have to submit for the transcripts is

The power of attorney form is as follows:

I cannot provide you with legal advise. I have provided you with information about the law related to your question. My answer, and any information that you find online, should not take the place of having a consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

Please show your appreciation for my candid, accurate information by clicking VERY INFORMATIVE, OR the OR and positive feedback. You should only rate me if you are satisfied with the information I provided you. If you cannot rate me GREAT please do not rate. Give me a chance to make it right by clicking REPLY TO EXPERT.

I appreciate your question and repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with "Dear XXXXX..."

Thank you,


John Elder and 2 other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you