How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Elder Your Own Question
John Elder
John Elder, Estate & Elder Law
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 4631
Experience:  Over 14 years experience in Medicaid, Estates, Trust.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
John Elder is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my deceased husband worked for exxon-mobil but they will not

This answer was rated:

my deceased husband worked for exxon-mobil but they will not allow me to collect his retirement because it is not addressed in my divorce decree. I get widows benefits on his SS record. Are these funds just lost?
Welcome! Thank you for your question.

Unfortunately they are lost to you. If you are divorced from the deceased then the only way you would be entitled to his survivor benefits is if your divorce decree or agreement stated that you where to receive a portion of the account.

With that said, his children, or his named successor executor can be appointed to take over the role of executor. The appointed executor of his estate would have authority to force Exxon to provide information on the account. Really the only person that has authority to force the release of information is the court appointed executor.

I cannot provide you with legal advise. I have provided you with information about the law related to your question. My answer, and any information that you find online, should not take the place of having a consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

Please show your appreciation for my candid, accurate information by clicking VERY INFORMATIVE, OR the OR and positive feedback. You should only rate me if you are satisfied with the information I provided you. If you cannot rate me GREAT please do not rate. Give me a chance to make it right by clicking REPLY TO EXPERT.

I appreciate your question and repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with "Dear XXXXX..."

Thank you,


John Elder and 2 other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you