How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Elder Your Own Question
John Elder
John Elder, Estate & Elder Law
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 4631
Experience:  Over 14 years experience in Medicaid, Estates, Trust.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
John Elder is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What is the likely hood a will won,t go threw if it,s witness

This answer was rated:

What is the likely hood a will won,t go threw if it,s witness but not notoriety.
Thank you for your question.

I need a bit more information to answer your question. What state are you filing for probate? Also, how many witnesses are there on the Will?

Thank you,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

South carolina,and 2 witnesses

So long as both witnesses are still around to testify or sign an affidavit the Will can absolutely be admitted to probate.


In South Carolina, a Will must be in writing, signed by the testator and by two witnesses. Each witness must sign the Will in the testator’s presence. (See: Section 62-2-502)


Generally, it is recommended that the witnesses to the Will be “disinterested”, which means that they are not a beneficiary of the Will. In South Carolina, the signing of a Will by an interested witness does not invalidate the Will but the gift to the witness is void unless there are at least two disinterested witnesses to the Will. (See: Section 62-2-504)


If a Will’s authenticity is unchallenged it may be probated in a simplified procedure if it has been self-proven. Since this will has not been notarized it is not self-proven. Since the Will is not self-proven the witnesses to a self-proven Will are required to testify in court. (See: Section 62-2-503)



I cannot provide you with legal advise. I have provided you with information about the law related to your question. My answer, and any information that you find online, should not take the place of having a consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

Please show your appreciation for my candid, accurate information by clicking VERY INFORMATIVE, OR the OR and positive feedback. You should only rate me if you are satisfied with the information I provided you. If you cannot rate me GREAT please do not rate. Give me a chance to make it right by clicking REPLY TO EXPERT.

I appreciate your question and repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with "Dear XXXXX..."

Thank you,


John Elder and other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you