How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Elder Your Own Question
John Elder
John Elder, Estate & Elder Law
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 4631
Experience:  Over 14 years experience in Medicaid, Estates, Trust.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
John Elder is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Father with Parkinsons signed an amendment to the family trust

This answer was rated:

Father with Parkinsons signed an amendment to the family trust giving a step son full ownership of business and property after a certain period after his death. The blood relatives being left out. The signature was just a "chicken scratch". Father died 14 years ago and we are trying to get medical information to prove his incompency at the signing.

How difficult will it be to get records and overturn the amendment?
Welcome! Thank you for your question.

I will be honest with you. This is a very difficult to prove. Particularly, since you have to prove that he was incompetent at the specific time that he signed the trust amendment. Based on the fact that he died more than 14 years ago, you will be proving something prior to that. 14 years is a lot of time to pass. Evidence such as individual accounts and recollections have had a long time to fade so that detailed and specific information is going to be difficult to obtain.

The medical records are going to be the gold standard. If the medical records are clear that he has significant mental issues on a consistent basis hopefully just prior and just after he signed the trust then you have as good of evidence that you can.

To get the medical records, someone will have to qualify as executor of his estate. The qualified executor has the authority to obtain medical records of the deceased.

I cannot provide you with legal advise. I have provided you with information about the law related to your question. My answer, and any information that you find online, should not take the place of having a consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

Please show your appreciation for my candid, accurate information by clicking VERY INFORMATIVE, OR the OR and positive feedback. You should only rate me if you are satisfied with the information I provided you. If you cannot rate me GREAT please do not rate. Give me a chance to make it right by clicking REPLY TO EXPERT.

I appreciate your question and repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with "Dear XXXXX..."

Thank you,


John Elder and other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you