Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

Is there a website for setting up a income cap trust?

1/31/2013
John Elder
John Elder, Estate & Elder Law
Welcome! Thank you for your question.

The Medicaid caseworker is correct. In states like Oregon that have income caps on Medicaid eligibility for nursing care the federal government allows for a specific type of trust to hold all income over the income cap. While the Medicaid recipient is alive the income in the trust can be used to purchase items for the recipient like clothes, shoes, cable TV, a private room at the facility, etc. The downside is that after the recipient dies the remaining trust money must be paid to the state of Oregon's Medicaid program up to the amount that they spent on the recipient's care.

Here is a a form. It is not free. You may consider the advantages of using an experienced elder law attorney to advise you here is that you not only get the trust but expert advise on how to best use the money in the trust to assure your loved one has the best quality of life possible. You can find an experienced elder law attorney at www.naela.org

I cannot provide you with legal advise. I have provided you with information about the law related to your question. My answer, and any information that you find online, should not take the place of having a consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

Please show your appreciation for my candid, accurate information by clicking VERY INFORMATIVE, OR the OR and positive feedback. You should only rate me if you are satisfied with the information I provided you. If you cannot rate me GREAT please do not rate. Give me a chance to make it right by clicking REPLY TO EXPERT.

I appreciate your question and repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with "Dear XXXXX..."

Thank you,

John Elder
John Elder, Estate & Elder Law

Dear John,

I found the form but it is unclear what I add to it. Are you able to walk me through the form?

Unfortunately the site rules and legal ethics prevent us from walking you through legal forms.

I can clarify some terms if that is what is confusing you.
John Elder
John Elder
John Elder, Estate & Elder Law