How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Elder Your Own Question
John Elder
John Elder, Estate & Elder Law
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 4631
Experience:  Over 14 years experience in Medicaid, Estates, Trust.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
John Elder is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother made me beneficiary to her monthly pension she was

This answer was rated:

My mother made me beneficiary to her monthly pension she was an Alabama state employee and only Federal Tax is taken out. I live in a different state (Georgia). Is there a specific tax bracket that these funds fall into or are they considered additional income on my earnings and taxed at the regular state rates?
Welcome! Thank you for your question.

Unfortunately they are going to be considered general income and computed with your total income for Federal and State tax purposes and taxed at the total rate for all your income.

If the pension company will not withhold Georgia state tax then you could increase the withholding on your earnings so that you do not owe too much in taxes next year. You can judge how much to increase your withholdings based on what you owe for last year.

I cannot provide you with legal advise. I have provided you with information about the law related to your question. My answer, and any information that you find online, should not take the place of having a consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

Please show your appreciation for my candid, accurate information by clicking VERY INFORMATIVE, OR the OR and positive feedback. You should only rate me if you are satisfied with the information I provided you. If you cannot rate me GREAT please do not rate. Give me a chance to make it right by clicking REPLY TO EXPERT.

I appreciate your question and repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with "Dear XXXXX..."

Thank you,


John Elder and 6 other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you