How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Elder Your Own Question
John Elder
John Elder, Estate & Elder Law
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 4631
Experience:  Over 14 years experience in Medicaid, Estates, Trust.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
John Elder is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father-in-law passed away on October 29, 2012. My husband

This answer was rated:

My father-in-law passed away on October 29, 2012. My husband filled out a Transfer of Affidavit because the money in the bank accounts was less than $50,000 and no other assets were owned. The house had been sold and so had his vehicle. The monies in the bank are going to be split between my husband and his sister, however the bank only has a W-9 for my husband and the monies will be coming to my husband. How much would we need to hold to pay taxes for 2013?

Welcome! Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am happy to answer your question today. I do need a bit more information first. Can you answer the following questions?


What state are you in?


What type of account was this? Was this a Traditional IRA Account? How much was in the account?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am in Wisconsin, they were regluar checking & savings accounts totalling $36,500.

The only tax that will be associated with the distribution of those accounts are the interest income that the account has earned since the passing of your father-in-law. The Federal Estate Tax exemption is over 5 million dollars and Wisconsin no longer has an estate tax.


I would guess that the accounts have only earned a few dollars in income since the passing of your father-in-law, therefore there will be reportable income of those few dollars. That income will be added to your normal income for income tax purposes.


There are no other taxes that would apply here.



I cannot provide you with legal advise. I can provide you with information about the law related to your question. My answer, and any information that you can find online, should not take the place of having a detailed consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.


Please show your appreciation for my candid, accurate information by clicking VERY INFORMATIVE, OR the OR and positive feedback. You should only rate me if you are satisfied with the information I provided you. If you feel there is something more I could have done please do not rate me and click REPLY TO EXPERT.

I appreciate your question and repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with "Dear XXXXX..."

Thank you,



John Elder and 3 other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you